Monday, September 19, 2011

“This Road is Perverse”

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Day 8
Socorro, New Mexico to Ruidoso, New Mexico
105 miles
6,700 ft. of climbing


Today’s route took us through the southern part of New Mexico - our last day in the mountains.  The morning temp was a pleasant and cool 56 degrees, with clear sunny skies and no wind.  Although we had only 105 miles today, we had a significant amount of climbing, some of which included some rather steep grades.  I was pleasantly surprised to find my legs still worked after yesterday’s long mileage (I had my doubts).

It was a beautiful day to be on a bicycle.  There was a degree of suffering that went with today’s ride only because of the steep climbs we encountered - most of which came in the latter 35 miles of the ride.  The quote of the day goes to Neil, one of my fellow riders.  We happened to be riding together going up one of the big, steep climbs.  The road ahead of us seemed to wind right up to the sky.  Neil (a CPA by trade), said, in his calm, matter-of-fact manner, “This road is perverse.”  I just about fell off my bike laughing.  Maybe I was delirious, but I was amused enough by that comment to make it up the rest of the hill.

We all were congratulating and high-fiveing each other as we rode into the hotel parking lot at the end of the ride.  Lots of Advil would be consumed tonight and probably tomorrow morning.  In all, it was a beautiful day of riding with some very challenging climbs.  Another day closer to our destination. 
Art - tearin' up the road

Me & my aero bars
Making progress

No comments:

Post a Comment