Sunday, September 4, 2011

Southern Transcontinental Bicycle Tour - Before We Begin

Hello!

On September 10, 2011, Art & I will embark on a bicycle journey across the United States - the Southern Transcontinental.  The tour is run and supported by PAC Tour - a bicycle touring company with extensive experience in long distance bicycle touring.  We will be part of a group of about 20 other riders who, like us, don't feel even a bit awkward or self-conscious about wearing padded spandex shorts and funny shoes for 8 hours a day.  We will begin the 26-day pedalfest in San Diego, California and ride to Tybee Island, Georgia - about 2,863 miles and just over 94,000 feet of climbing.  Although we know it will be very challenging for mere mortals like us to ride long miles for 26 days in a row, we are really looking forward to this adventure.  Art & I have been training for this all spring and summer, and our bikes are in great shape.  Are we?  Let's hope!

When I told friends and family of our plans to do this bike trip, I got a broad spectrum of reactions - from assorted versions of, "You guys are (*) crazy!" and "Are you (*) nuts?" to more positive sentiments, such as, "Wow, that's really cool!" and "I would love to do something like that."  Some have asked what prompted us to sign up for such an aggressive endeavor.  Speaking for myself, aside from the fact that I love riding my bike, I thought I'd provide a glimpse of some of the other factors that went into my decision.

Top Ten Reasons Why I Signed up for the Southern Transcontinental:

10.  I was dropped on my head as a child, resulting in diminished capacity for decision-making.

  9.  I thought about all the gas money I'll save not having to drive to work for four weeks.


  8.  I just can't get enough granola bars, Gatorade, Fig Newtons, Oreos, Hammer Gel and Recoverite in my normal life.


  7.  Bad hair days will be concealed under my bike helmet.


  6.  No pantyhose, suits, ironing, cosmetics or heels - 'nuff said.


  5.  I bought a brand new bike last year and - gosh darn it - I'm gonna get my money's worth!


  4.  Art was hinting that we should clean the basement and wash windows this fall.

  3.  I feel the need to prove that I'm not as old as AARP apparently thinks I am.

  2.  Endorphins are like crack to me.

  1.  I like being too tired to watch TV.

 



3 comments:

  1. You 2 are my heroes. You're both so full of energy. Since you are, take lap or 2 for me cause you know I won't.
    Best of luck and lots of fun for you both on your journey.
    It's going to be fun keeping up with you via the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Rose! love the name! Thanks for the invite. Good luck to you and Art on your ride. You 2 certainly live an exciting life! More power to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the blops and humor in them. The pictures are great. Keep pedeling guys. I'm so enjoying the "ride" with you. Only I am sitting here freezing at my desk (shhh don't tell Art I wrote on work time) I'll make it my official break (ya right).

    ReplyDelete