Monday, September 19, 2011

Hello New Mexico!

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Day 7
Springerville, Arizona to Socorro, New Mexico
156 miles
4,332 ft. of climbing

Today would be the longest mileage day of the entire tour.  Because we had to cover so many miles, we had to keep to a schedule and make it to all the rest stops by a given time.  Just to make it a little more interesting, the lion’s share of our climbing for the day (about 3,300 ft. of it) would take place in the first 90 miles of the ride.  These were big sweeping rollers - huge dips in the road.  These weren’t particularly difficult to get up and over, but some of the climbs were pretty long.  We would be traveling the same road the entire day - Route 60.  We rode through Pie Town, New Mexico, but, regrettably, had no time to stop for a piece of pie.  We crossed the Continental Divide.  In the morning, before we left the hotel, we were advised to carry our rain gear with us, as there was was a “chance" of rain.  I started out carrying my rain gear, but, by the first rest stop, I was so warm from climbing, and, because the sky was as blue as can be with no dark clouds, I decided to ditch my rain gear in the SAG vehicle rather than carry it.  Big mistake.  About five miles from our lunch stop at mile 90, I started to feel light drops.  Then the drops got bigger.  I looked up and saw a huge dark cloud overhead.  The wind started to pick up and the temperature seemed to plummet as rain particles fell like little cold pellets from the sky.  I was cold, damp, and getting damper - berating myself for ditching my rain gear.  Arrived at our lunch stop shivering and wet (and feeling more than a little foolish).  When the SAG vehicle arrived there, I quickly retrieved my rain jacket and put it on (nothing like closing the barn door after the horse is out).  About ten minutes later, the sun came out again and it was like it never even rained.  And yes, I again tempted fate and ditched my rain gear in the next SAG vehicle.  I am nothing if not recalcitrant.    
The remaining 60 miles of the ride to Socorro was a gradual descent, with a few rollers thrown in here and there.  Despite our fatigue, it was a very pleasant ride.  Groups of us rode in pace lines for some of the miles, and took turns pulling.  At mile 144, we started a nice smooth downhill right into Soccoro.  We rolled into the Best Western parking lot totally exhausted, but exhilarated to have accomplished the longest day of the tour.  
Welcome to New Mexico!

1 comment:

  1. wow my butt hurt after the first day. I don't think I can sit now. LOL
    Keep on pedeling guys.

    ReplyDelete