Saturday, September 17, 2011

"Standin' On The Corner in Winslow, Arizona . . . "

Day 5:  Thursday, September 15, 2011

Cottonwood, Arizona to Winslow, Arizona
111 miles
7,000 ft. of climbing

Today's route would take us to Winslow, Arizona - made famous by the Eagle's song Take it Easy.  We had a very pleasant day of sunny, warm weather.  We climbed for much of the day again, but instead of three distinct climbs like yesterday, our route today seemed like one long climb (actually, it was a series of ridge ascents).  Some of the climbs were fairly steep and long, so it was one of those days where you just put it in a low gear and pedal.  Because we have so many  miles ahead of us, Art & I always say to each other "take it easy up this climb."  (Just like the Eagles song says!).  At one point, I was going so slow that if I took it any easier, I'd have been going backwards. : )
The top of one of our climbs today.
Winslow is a place with a lot of character.  Located on the famous Route 66, Winslow is a city that seems to be stuck in the past.  It's sort of artsy, has some interesting shops and, of course, the famous "corner," where there's a statue of Arlo Guthrie (Arlo wrote Take it Easy for the Eagles) and cool mural behind it.  A bunch of us had dinner at the La Posada Hotel - a beautiful estate hotel in Winslow.  It was a nice evening to end a great day of cycling.

Arlo & us standin' on the corner. 

2 comments:

  1. Rose and Art, Later in the week I plan to post on my blog a remarkable paragraph written by Graeme Fife in which he gives as fine a statement as I know about the inner resolve that makes it possible for people to climb steep, never-ending grades such as you describe. When I post it, I'll let you know. In the meantime, I rejoice with you and your companions on a great adventure and another personal achievement. Your references to Winslow and Route 66 awaken good memories of the Grand Canyon trip a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting exhausted just reading your blog! I especially like the Winslow AZ post, and I'm wondering if you were kidding about the Diet Coke hallucinations from a few days ago. Keep pedaling, we're all with you!

    ReplyDelete