Monday, September 19, 2011

Ever heard of Springerville?

Friday, September 16, 2011

Day 6
Winslow, Arizona to Springerville, Arizona
121 miles
4,350 ft. of climbing

It was a brisk but sunny morning at 6:30 a.m. when we started riding out of Winslow.  It was chilly enough that most of us started with jackets, arm & leg warmers and long-fingered gloves.  For the first 17 miles of our route we traveled on I-40 (see my Day 3 post regarding bicycling on a major highway).  At mile 7, I got my first flat tire of the trip.  (I can only hope it will be my last flat tire, but, alas, I'm sure that is not to be.)  Because I am spoiled and always have my own personal bike mechanic with me (Art), I had a lot of help changing the tire.  Actually, it was more like Art had a little help changing my tire - I held stuff and handed stuff to him while he did all the work.  That's why I do the laundry.  It works for us.  : )    
The temperature warmed up nicely as the day progressed and we were soon warm enough to take off our jackets and warmers.  Our route took us through some very remote, expansive dry terrain (imagine tumbleweeds and such).  There is no real sign of civilization for miles and miles - just road and a few bugs.  Maybe a car every once in a while.  It was quite hot by the afternoon, but the winds were fairly calm.  Most of our climbing took place in the latter part of the ride.  We passed a prison (brilliant location for a prison - absolutely nowhere for an escapee to hide, especially if he's wearing black & white stripes).  Springerville is a nice little town with a great "guns/ammo/pharmacy/liquor/beer" store, where Art went and bought some beer to add to the community chest.  They also had a great pizza place that delivered.  We were so tired, we ordered a pizza and had it delivered to our room at the Rode Inn Motel rather than go out.  It was a nice relaxing ending to a wonderful day.

 

Me on Jack Rabbit Road

"Art"

No comments:

Post a Comment