Friday, September 18, 2015

Big Climbs and Fast Descents

Day 5
Thursday, September 17, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ to Cottonwood, AZ
104 miles
8,310 feet of climbing

Today was an absolutely stupendous day on the bike - the best day yet.  Three big climbs (and three descents) with gorgeous views.  The last climb was followed by a crazy-fast 14-mile descent into Cottonwood, passing through the funky town of Jerome.  Beautiful clear weather.  It was a hot and sunny day, but nowhere near the intense heat we experienced the last few days.  Most interesting sight?  A huge dead rattlesnake in the road.  Lord only knows how it met its demise, because it looked like it had been bitten in half.  I wish I could "unsee" it, because a nightmare is brewing, I'm sure.  Now that we're out of the intense heat of the desert, my appetite has returned, and I think I may have overdone it today in terms of snacks.  Thankfully, I'll have plenty of opportunities in the next 22 days to burn off excess calories before they make my body their home.  My bike is running well, and, well, I guess I'm doing OK, too.  Normal aches and pains - nothing that a little Advil can't help.  All in all, feeling strong and having a great time!

Elevation profile of today's ride.  Three climbs - Yarnell, Prescott, and Mingus Mt.
Art - on the approach to the first climb of the day.
Beautiful sights like this all day
 
Heading for the mountains!
Love those switchbacks
Looking back at the road from whence we came - Yarnell climb

A picture of crew member Dave J. taking a picture of me.
My great bike at the top of Yarnell Hill - 6,100 feet
Tom D. and Art finishing the Yarnell climb
Lunch is served!  Cov and Dennis manning the lunch table.
Starting the Mingus climb - a beautiful climb through the forest.

Top o' the climb!
Spectacular view on the Mingus descent
Handsome guy (Art) on the Mingus descent

More views on the Mingus descent.
Robert K. and me at a lookout on the descent

A group of us stopped in Jerome for a refreshment - coffee, ice cream, beer or a smoothie.  From left is, Bob E, Art, Brian M., Jonathan P. and Robert K.


No comments:

Post a Comment