Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Road That "Lies" Ahead

Saturday, July 13, 2013
Day 7 - Thompson Falls, Montana to Missoula, Montana
107 miles
3,144 feet of climbing


We had another spectacular day of riding with perfect weather, great views and . . .  (dare I say it?) . . . no flat tires!  Our route today was a gentle, very gradual climb all the way to Missoula.  It was also the day of optical illusions.  Although our route was a 1 to 4% climb pretty much all day, there were times when the road appeared to be descending, when, in fact, it was still going up.  It's a weird feeling - your eyes are telling you that you should be going faster, but your legs (and your Garmin) are telling you you're still on an incline.  It took a while to get used to it.  When we did have a legitimate descent at mile 90, although I could see it, I didn't believe it until I was actually on it and going 30+ miles per hour.  That's when the road finally stopped lying to me.  : )

Daily scene in the hotel parking lot - getting ready to leave in the morning
Art & the optical illusion - the road appears to be descending around the turn, but that's actually still a climb

Art & his shadow . . . keeping it real in Montana
Montana is quite beautiful
Fellow riders Bill, Steve & Jill (that's a plastic squeaky bird on Bill's aerobars)
Montana is quite beautiful (part 2)
A 6% downhill or showgirls?  Given the choice, I'll take the 6% downhill!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rose,
    Love reading your posts and seeing your pictures. Sounds like you're having fun (although I can only feel pain in my body for you with all that peddling) LOL
    You know I only rode once with you and Art and my butt was KILLING me.
    Stay safe and keep up the GREAT work.
    Tami

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog thanks for taking the time to share your adventure with us...

    ReplyDelete