Tuesday, July 9, 2013

An Impressive First Day

Sunday, July 7, 2013
Day 1 - Everett, Washington to Sedro Woolley, Washington
100 miles
5,273 feet of climbing

And so, it begins - the official start of our Northern Transcontinental bike tour.  We started riding just before 6:15 a.m. to afford plenty of time to catch the 7 a.m. ferry across the Puget Sound to Whidbey Island.  Even though it was only seven miles to the ferry, I had to leave enough time for the possibility of getting two flat tires, breaking a spoke, getting run over by a moose, or the 10 billion other possible mishaps that could happen when you're me and you have to be somewhere at a specified time.  Once we got off the ferry, it was a roller coaster ride kind of day - up and down all day long.  A scenic and hilly route that consisted of a series of big rollers, most of which were moderate with a few steep climbs here and there to keep us honest.

The most impressive sight of the day for me was two bald eagles we spotted sitting on pieces of driftwood logs at the aptly-named Driftwood Island County Park.  By the time I had my camera ready, however, the two eagles took flight and flew right over my head.  They are really something to see with the naked eye.  They have a regal look about them - graceful and dignified.  Unfortunately, my pictures of them didn't turn out very well, but you can take my word for it that they are amazing to see.

Another impressive sight of today was Deception Pass, which, deceptively (pun intended), is not a mountain pass, but, rather a straight separating Whidbey Island from Fidalgo Island. 

The most impressive event of the day?  The heroic rescue of my Garmin.  Although it didn't make the national news, I can't stop talking about it.  At around mile 47, I glanced down at my ever-present Garmin, as I generally do several times during a ride to check my speed, elevation, etc.  Lo and behold, it was gone! What the hell?  I must not have clicked it in to the holder well enough and it fell off sometime in the previous 10 miles or so (the last time I remember looking at it).  I became panic-stricken!  I yelled to Art, "Mayday! Mayday!  Garmin overboard!"  We immediately started back-tracking to see if we could spot it on the road.  About a minute into our search, our friend and fellow rider, Gary Duvall, come riding toward us, waves at us and says, "Did you lose a Garmin?  I just picked one up off the road."  I was elated!  Not only did I not have to be without my Garmin for the rest of the trip, I didn't even have to look for it!  Or get yelled a by Art!  I owe Gary a debt of gratitude - he saved me (and, by association, Art) a great deal of aggravation, expense and aggravation (worth mentioning again).  I offered to buy him a beer after the ride, and Gary counter-offered the suggestion that I take over the responsibility of washing his bike after every ride (typical lawyer).  The negotiations continue.  : )

It was an challenging day, and I'm glad to say we were up for the task.  Tomorrow will be an even more challenging day as we ride 128 hilly miles to Winthrop, Washington.  Hopefully, I'll be able to hold on to my Garmin for the rest of the ride. 

Waiting to board the ferry (Art, Tim & Frederico in the foreground)

Gary, my Garmin rescuer
Deception Pass
Retired and on vacation - it just doesn't get any better than that!
Art and some lady's arm at a Deception Pass overlook.

Swinomish Channel

1 comment:

  1. Glad you found your Garmin. My GPS broke on vacation and now I have to buy a new one. Boy do I feel insecure without. Keep safe and enjoy the biking. :)

    ReplyDelete