Saturday, July 20, 2013

Population 2?

Friday, July 19, 2013
Day 13 - Sheridan, Wyoming to Gillette, Wyoming
109 miles
4,048 feet of climbing

An easier day than yesterday, but a constant headwind made for a long day in the saddle.  Today's route took us through some very desolate areas of central Wyoming.   We began today's route with a pleasant 15 mile climb. It was a beautiful warm and sunny morning and the climb offered nice views of the landscape.  Wyoming is the least populated U.S. state, and that fact became glaringly apparent as we rode through various towns on our route today:  Ucross, population 27; Clearmont, population 143; Leiter population 29; Spotted Horse, population 2.  You get the picture.

After our initial climb in the morning, our route consisted of rolling climbs all the way to Gillette, some of which were long, but nothing too steep.  Because the headwind kicked up as the morning wore on, getting up and over those rollers became more challenging.  And don't we just love a challenge?  Of course we do!  That's why we're riding our bikes across the country, for goodness sake!

Notable sight/event of the day:  I saw what I think was a dead rattlesnake on the side of the road.  It wasn't flattened like the other dead snakes I've seen during this tour.  It was huge and meaty, and wasn't squashed at all, which makes me suspect the snake was actually alive and playing possum, looking for someone to bite.  Well, I can assure you that if that snake wasn't dead, it is now deaf because I screamed my fool head off as I almost ran it over with my bike.   

Tomorrow we're heading to South Dakota.  I hope my saddle & I start getting along better.  : )

The elevation profile of today's ride (does not reflect the headwind)

Fellow rider Jonathan on the morning climb
Views from the climb
A"populated" section of Wyoming on our route today
This area desperately needs and ice cream shop
Our road for most of the day
Me & Ellery at the first rest stop
"Rolling" on the rollers toward Gillette
Steve and Mike

Fueling up at the last rest stop of the day - at mile 93


No comments:

Post a Comment