Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Today, We Go "Up" (again)

Day 4 - June 11, 2012
Arvier to Cogne to Aosta
47 miles
5,366 feet of climbing

The greatest thing about today's ride is that the weather forecast called for a 60% or more chance of rain throughout the day - and it didn't rain at all!  It was an absolutely beautiful day; mostly sunny, calm winds, with  cool temperatures in the morning that warmed up nicely as the day went on.  I love it when the weather people are wrong in my favor.  We had perfect conditions to view the magnificent scenery in the backdrop of our ride today.  Today we left Arvier to travel to a new host town - Aosta - where we'll be staying for three nights.  Instead of riding directly from Arvier to Aosta, which is only about 5 miles, we took a 42-mile side trip up to Cogne and Lillaz.  Great climbing, not many cars and some amazing sights.  The main feature of Lillaz was a gorgeous mountain waterfall.  On the descent, Art & I added another side trip to Ozein, which provided fantastic views of the valley.  Photographic evidence is below.  Enjoy!
Art getting ready for the ride outside our hotel in Arvier

A waterfall on the climb to Cogne - it was so close to the road I was catching spray as I took this picture.

More sights on the climb to Cogne



"Alpine Art"

Waterfall in Lillaz

Our group enjoying lunch in Cogne
Sights on the climb to Ozein
Full disclosure here - although this sign indicates a 20% grade, I cannot say that I encountered a 20% grade anywhere on the climb to Ozien.  My legs certainly would have let me know!
The valley view from Ozein

1 comment: