Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Penultimate Ride: Getting Metter by the Day

Day 25

Wednesday, October 5, 2011
Perry, Georgia to Metter, Georgia
118 miles
3,135 feet of climbing

Hard to believe, but today is the 2nd to last day of our journey across the country.  As I headed out to the bike racks this morning, I could practically smell the ocean (OK, not really - but I could sense the nearness of the ocean).  This was our first morning in the eastern time zone, so the sun was still coming up when we started rolling at 7:30.  We headed to Metter (Georgia) today.  "Perry is nice, but Metter is better" is just one of the clever phrases we came up with at breakfast.  The morning temp was about 50 degrees, and stayed pleasantly cool throughout the morning.  The weather got better in Metter (another one!) - for the afternoon, it was a sunny 84ish degrees.  Today's ride consisted mostly of moderate rolling hills on quiet, low-traffic roads.  The terrain is becoming less hilly as we make our way toward the coast.  Fun and fast riding, for the most part.  For much of the the morning - up to the 2nd rest stop - I, along with a few others, caught the Lon & Susan tandem train, and the miles seemed to fly by.  It was another day of pure cycling bliss.  There's nothing like riding on country roads; it's peaceful and it makes me happy. : )  Know what else makes me happy?  Getting off my bike seat after 118 miles! : )
: )
A Page House in Dublin, Georgia
Lon & Susan on the tamdem.

Almost there!

1 comment:

  1. Rose, On my solo trans-con, I spent a night in Perry. The next morning at a fast food restaurant, I had a fascinating conversation with a retired cut-flower farmer who had taken up in-line skating after retirement. He understood the importance of high quality bearings in skate wheels and wanted to see my bike so that I could explain where high quality components made the difference in performance. Such interesting conversations! I hope that you, Art, and I can ride together on another PACTour ride. Yesterday, I did 106 miles on a wonderful end of season ride in the beautiful rural countryside outside of Portland. It is a celebration of my 80th birthday coming up later this month.

    ReplyDelete