Sunday, October 2, 2011

Hello Alabama!

Day 21

Saturday, October 1, 2011
Kosciusko, Mississippi to Livingston, Alabama
115 miles
5,500 ft. of climbing

It was very chilly morning - just 40 degrees when we started riding, but the crew lessened the chill by making us blueberry pancakes for breakfast.  Started out wearing my jacket, arm warmers and long-fingered gloves (plus, I had two big cups of hot tea with breakfast, which, in retrospect, was not a great strategy).  Today's route consisted entirely of rollers - medium to big rolling hills.  Thanks to the hills, I was warmed up by the first rest stop at mile 24 and was able to shed my chilly-weather gear.  By the early morning, we had 70ish temperatures with clear skies and sunshine.  Absolutely perfect biking weather.  Rode through some very pretty rural areas in Mississippi - Edinburg, Laurel Hill and Hope.  The only big town we rode through today was Philadelphia (to avoid confusion, I might suggest Mississippi follow Arkansas' lead and name the town "Missadelphia").  Our lunch stop was a nice little spot in DeKalb.  The temp warmed up to 74 degrees by the time I reached our lunch stop, just after noontime, but with the wind, I got a little chilled just sitting there.  Once I got back on the bike, I was warm again in no time.  Rode through many nice residential areas.  Saw many local people today out walking or in their front yards.  The dog-chasing situation remains the same, although I think I'm becoming desensitized to it (I'm now on the lookout for alligators).  Crossed into Alabama somewhere around mile 95.  In all, it was an another absolutely spectacular day of riding. 
The Yockanookany River
Me - after the morning warm-up
Lon with our map of progress

No comments:

Post a Comment