Monday, October 3, 2011

If the Dogs Don't Get You, the Saddle Will!

Day 22

Sunday, October 2, 2011
Livingston, Alabama to Greenville, Alabama
128 miles
4,200 ft. of climbing

Weather-wise, today was a repeat of yesterday: cold in the morning (about 42 degrees), but warmed up comfortably to the mid-70's by noontime.  In lieu of an extra cup of hot tea with breakfast to stay warm in the morning, I opted for an extra layer under my jacket.  (It was nice not to have to stop every 15 minutes.)  A few rolling hills to start off with helped warm me up fairly quickly.  Sunny and clear, with just a little wind out of the northeast.  Today we had 4,200 feet of climbing, the majority of which was in the latter half of the ride.  Like yesterday, the route consisted of rolling hills - some big, some small, and a few of which were long and had some steep spots, especially the afternoon rollers.  Dogs chased, but none caught me.  We crossed the Alabama River, which is quite beautiful, and had lunch in a lovely park that borders the river.  After 128 miles, I was tired and exhilarated when I reached our destination in Greenville.  My saddle and my sit bones are having a contest to see which one can hurt me the most.  Advil to the rescue!  I'm not addicted to Advil.  I can quit anytime . . . just not until the end of this trip.  : )
Another "fantabulous" day on the bike.  Getting closer to our destination!
Me - layered up for the morning chill
The bridge across the Alabama River
Our lunch spot right next to the Alabama River

2 comments:

  1. Rose and Art, I'm following your trip with great interest and appreciation. Although your daily mileage is higher than I have done in years past, I understand the excitement and fatigue, the enjoyment of ever changing terrain and vista. Most of all, there is the sheer joy of moving through the country by your own power and in a manner that is so humane to all concerned (except the sit bones, of course). Your writing helps us come along with you, almost as though we were riding the handle bars like we sometimes did as kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just caught up again. I knew I didn't like dogs (well cats either) LOL

    I love the way you blog. It's so interesting what you're doing (still wouldn't want to do it myself though)

    Keep the tires spinning

    Love to you both

    ReplyDelete