Thursday, October 8, 2015

Atlantic Ocean on My Mind

Day 26
Thursday, October 8, 2015
Perry, GA to Metter, GA
115 miles
3,300 feet of climbing

"Georgia, Georgia
The whole day through
Just an old sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind"

           - Ray Charles

Georgia has been on my mind since I started this journey 26 days ago, and now that I'm here, I can hardly believe this journey is almost at an end.  Today was the penultimate day of our tour, and it was a superb day on the bike.  Like yesterday, we had fantastic weather, great roads to ride on and beautiful scenery.  We had some heavy traffic to contend with for about seven miles as we rode through the town of Dublin, Georgia, which is a bigger town on our route, but other than that, it was a fairly peaceful and scenic day.  We did have a fair amount of climbing on today's route, but the terrain is certainly becoming less hilly as we get closer to the coast.  We've not been successful at rectifying the clicking sound my bicycle has been making the past few days, and it is slowly driving me mad.  Click, click, click - all day long.  We now believe it's a worn right pedal, so we switched it out to see if that helps.  I hope it does, because I would really like to maintain my sanity as I finish this ride.  We had dinner tonight with Jonathan (from Australia) and Tim (from Minnesota), and we had fun reminiscing about past rides, sharing bear encounter stories, and general bicycle talkery.  Time to rest up for tomorrow's ride to the Atlantic Ocean!

Elevation profile of today's ride (getting "Metter" by the day!)
Me and my good friend and distinguished colleague, Jim Salvie
Waiting to load gear bags - everybody is eager to start today's ride.
Cynthia  . . rockin' the recumbent
Our group heading out of town this morning.
Peace and serenity on the road (except for the annoying clicking noise my bike is making)
Smiling anyway because, hey - at least I get to ride my bike today!
Cotton fields . . .  for the fabric of our lives.
A familiar scene at the end of each day's ride - bicycles parked at McDonald's for an end-of-ride shake



No comments:

Post a Comment