Wednesday, July 24, 2013

What's So Tough About South Dakota?

Tuesday, July 23, 2013
Day 17 - Murdo, South Dakota to Mitchell, South Dakota
145 miles
2,741 feet of climbing

When we started this Tour 17 days ago, someone in our group made the comment that "the toughest days are going to be riding across South Dakota."  I sort of laughed at that, thinking, "South Dakota?  Really?  What could be so tough about riding across South Dakota?"  

Well, I got my answer today.

Today was a long and arduous day on the bike.  We started our ride this morning with a stiff headwind that stayed with us the entire day.   I was traveling at 11 to 14 miles per hour by myself, until I got in a group with Mike and Bob, and we took turns pulling until the second rest stop at mile 60.  There was a chance of rain today, so I started the day wearing my rain jacket.  It got so warm and sunny by the first rest stop at mile 34, in my inevitable style, I ditched my rain jacket in the van, thinking I wouldn't need it.  As you might guess, yes, we got rained on.  Not a huge downpour, thankfully, but just enough to make me laugh at myself.  I'll never learn.  Nevertheless, I spent nine hours and 17 minutes on the bike today.  Although it was an extremely difficult ride today, here are some reasons why today was a good one, despite the headwind:

- I did not get a flat tire
- Although it did rain, it didn't rain much and it actually felt very refreshing.
- We crossed the Missouri River
- I'm on vacation
- My achilles tendon is not giving me any more problems
- Another day and 145 miles closer to our destination
- I was able to complete the whole ride before all the restaurants in Mitchell closed (there were times today I had my doubts)

Tomorrow is going to be another long mileage day - 137 miles, not including wrong turns.  But rumor has it . . . there isn't going to be a headwind.  : )

The elevation profile of today's ride.  Absent the headwind, this would have been an relatively easy day.




Me pace-lining with Bob and Mike

Art barreling through the wind

Crossing over the Missouri River




   

No comments:

Post a Comment