Friday, August 9, 2013

Hello, Atlantic Ocean! We Made it!

Wednesday, August 7, 2003
Day 32 (final day) - Ashland, Virginia to Williamsburg, Virginia (and the Atlantic Ocean)
92 miles
2,383 feet of climbing

What an amazing last day of the Tour!  It was a gorgeous day, mostly sunny, mild temperature with winds out of the south.  Today's route consisted mostly of rolling terrain - up and down all morning.  There were a few tall rollers with some double-digit grades thrown in, just because that's what we've come to expect.  Personally, I don't know what I'd do if I had a day without at least a 14% grade section to climb.  But, for the most part, it was a relatively easy day.  When I say "relatively easy," I mean not as hard as the days in which we rode in headwinds, rain and climbed over 7,000 feet.  Needless to say, there was a celebratory tone to the day.  Most of the hard work was over for us, and now it was time to enjoy the final leg of our Tour.  The miles flew by quickly.  We reached the town of Williamsburg at mile 64, which seemed like the blink of an eye after all the days of 100+ miles we had ridden.  From there, we had just 14 miles to ride to reach the Atlantic Ocean, which would be the official end to our coast-to-coast journey.  We regrouped at the Colonial National Historic Park, about a mile before the beach.  Once every rider in our group arrived, we formed a 2-line procession, led by the youngest rider in our group, Caelan (age 16), the oldest rider in our group, Gerry G. (age 74), and the father-son tandem team of Greg and Zach, and we all rode together to the shore.  Many friends and family members of riders in our group were at the shore waiting for us to arrive, with congratulatory signs and balloons, cheering us on.  When we reached the beach, we all took off our shoes carried our bikes across the sand and dipped ourselves and our wheels into the Atlantic Ocean, just to make it official.   People on the beach participated in our celebration.  They really had no choice - we sort of took over that part of the beach!  It was fun, emotional and chaotic, all at the same time.  After we "stormed" the beach, we had our final "fantastic, as usual" PAC Tour lunch at a nearby park.  It was great to meet the friends and loved ones of our fellow riders.  We'd heard so much about most of them over the past 32 days, we felt like we already knew them!

After lunch, we had a 14-mile ride back to Williamsburg to our hotel.  At that point, I had sand in my bike shoes, my hair and my gloves, but I didn't care.  I was basking in the glow of having completed a very challenging and magnificent journey.  We did it!

Gathering at Colonial National Historic Park for the group procession to the shore
Art & Jerry S.
Art & me - the "H" team

Jim, Art & me, at the regrouping area, about a mile from the shore

Our procession to the shore



Me & my great bike

Photo: They finished! Not sure how they did it but I sure am proud of them for biking all the way across the country.
Art & me - celebrating our amazing journey with a dip in the Atlantic (photo by our friend & fellow rider, Brian)

Group photo!
Zach & his dad, Greg.  Today, Zach became the first person with Down Syndrome to ride a bike across the U.S.
PAC Tour lunch at the beach
Mission accomplished!

At 6:30, we gathered for a pizza party PAC Tour hosted for us.  During the party, we watched a slide show of all of the photos PAC Tour took of us during the Tour.  It was a blast to see pictures from the early days - days I hardly remember now.  It made me smile to think of all the miles I rode, all the great and sometimes tough experiences I had, and all the amazing, wonderful and exceptional people with whom I shared this journey.

Some final thoughts, feelings and observations:

  • Nothing short of a miracle.  31 days of riding, 3,500 miles, 132,180 feet of climbing.  Number of flat tires I had: zero.  Unprecedented.  Consider this an unsolicited commercial for Continental Gatorskin tires.  And prayer.
  • I got by with a little help from my friends.  I appreciate the support, camaraderie, humor and empathy I received from my fellow riders and the PAC Tour crew.  It was an honor and a privilege to be part of this esteemed group of people.  
  • Still kicking.  The first day of this Tour fell on my 48th birthday.  Riding this Tour was the best possible way to spend my birthday and the 31 days that followed.  Daily validation that I'm doing OK.  Plus - it was like an extended birthday party - being with a big group of friends and cake, cookies and/or ice cream every day!
  •  Art appreciation.  A big shout out to my all time best friend and wonderful husband, Arthur.  Thank you, Art, for all of you support and encouragement along the way.  I greatly appreciate you maintaining your sense of humor when I caused us to take a wrong turn and do bonus miles at the end of a long day.  You rock!!
  • Thank you to Our Lady of Ghisallo, patron saint of cyclists, for keeping all of us safe during this Tour.
  • Life is Good.  : )





2 comments: