Friday, June 15, 2012

Loop d' Loop

Day 6 - Wednesday, June 13
Aosta - Place Moulin Loop & Glacier Loop
54 miles
7,200 feet of climbing

Yet another awesome day of cycling.  We had two route options (both were loop rides), so we did them both.  It was a beautiful and cool morning, mostly sunny.  The forecast called for a chance of rain around noon, so we elected to carry our rain gear.  (I'm thinking there's much less chance it will rain if I carry my rain gear.  Experience has taught me it will most certainly rain if I leave it behind.)  First we did the Moulin loop - a gorgeous 20+ mile climb to Place Moulin.  At the end of the climb is a dam and a lake (Lac du Place Moulin).  It was a challenging climb, with some fairly steep sections.  But most of the climb was on a quiet road with very light traffic.  As per usual, it got chilly as we gained altitude and even felt a few drops of rain, but nothing that required rain gear.  We reached the dam at Place Moulin right around 11:30 - just in time to descend to a little cafe in a small town below for a beverage and a bite to eat.  From there, we descended about ten more miles, at which point we took the turn-off toward Ollomont to do the climb to Glacier.  This was also a steep climb, which my legs let me know continuously by causing me to suffer a little every time I stepped on the proverbial gas pedal.  Nonetheless, we made the six-mile climb to Glacier, and the views were magificent.  On the way, we passed through a couple of cute little towns.  Beautiful mountain views in the backdrop. Although it was a very pretty ride, I must admit I was underwhelmed when we arrived in Glacier.  Not much going on there except the end of the road.  I realize this particular climb was more about the journey than the destination, but a gelato shop or a cold soda machine would have been much appreciated at that juncture.  Just sayin'.  Be that as it may, we began our descent back to Aosta.  The steep sections we met going up the climb made for a very fast 12-mile descent back to Aosta.  We made a quick trip to the local bike shop to buy some chain lube and another quick gelato stop before heading back to our hotel.  What a fun day!  Glad I carried my rain gear.  : ) 
Views on the climb to Place Moulin




The dam at Place Moulin
Views on the way to Glacier
 

Recently retired Art Hewig enjoying a great day on the bike

No comments:

Post a Comment